Bishop Jerom Fernandez, the first Indian Bishop of the catholic diocese of Kollam, had the idea of constructing a befitting memorial to perpetuate the memory of his predecessor Bishop Aloysius Maria Benziger. And with the consent of the believers of the diocese, a decision was made to build a hospital.
Bishop Benziger Hospital was thus formed in a four-acre plot situated in the heart of Kollam town. It was started functioning on 17 August 1948, the anniversary of the death of Bishop Benziger. It was the first private hospital in Kollam town. The formal inauguration of the hospital, owned and managed by the Latin Catholic Diocese of Quilon, was on 08 December 1948. Being a charitable society, a non-profit-oriented institution, the profit that is generated is always ploughed back into the institution for the benefit of the public. So the growth of the institution is to the help of the public that the hospital aspires to serve and love with utmost sincerity.