Dr S Govindan FRCS founded Dr Govindans Hospital after serving in the Travancore Cochin and Kerala Health Services since 1936. He was appointed Associate Professor of Surgery when the Medical College in Thiruvananthapuram was established in 1951. He was also a professor of surgery at the Medical College of Kozhikode. This hospital was founded in 1966 as the City Nursing Home, and it was open to other famous doctors of the time to admit and treat their patients from the outset. Dr C Achuthan Pillai (retired Professor of Medicine), Dr R Kesavan Nair (retired Professor of Surgery), Dr G Jayasimhan (retired Professor of Surgery), Over the years, the hospital became known as a centre for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 24hr emergency care for all people in surrounding localities, and expert care in various specialties.